In this lesson, students will pre-write, write, edit, revise, and publish a piece of persuasive letter or essay.
California Content Standards for 7th Grade English:
- Writing 1.0, 2.4
- Written and Oral English Language Conventions 1.0
- Listening and Speaking Strategies 1.0
- Speaking Applications 2.4
Common Core Standards for 7th Grade Language Arts:
- Writing 7.1
- Production and Distribution of Writing 7.4, 7.5, 7.6
- Speaking and Listening 7.1, 7.3
- Presentation of Knowledge and Ideas 7.4, 7.5, 7.6
- State an opinion about a topic
- Support their opinion with facts, statistics, and examples
- Address possible counterarguments
- Use reason and emotion to persuade their audience
- Create a presentation for their audience
Understanding – Evaluating
- Students will listen to the podcast “To Sag or Not to Sag” to evaluate persuasive techniques and quality of podcast.
Analyzing – Applying
- Each student will use the Persuasion Map to map out their arguments for their persuasive essay.
- Students will write a persuasive letter using the Letter Generator.
- Students will create a presentation for their target audience in the form of a podcast- using Audacity, a video- using MovieMaker , or another form of presentation such as Prezi, Animoto, or other with teacher’s approval
Use this persuasive essay rubric to assess your own writing. Email the file to me on School Loop.